Welcome! Thistle + Lilly is a newly created pattern brand, currently targeted to designing clothing patterns for babies and children for the Victorian era. While many initial patterns will be for the 1850s and 1860s, the long-term goal is to have patterns ranging from 1830-1900.

11/29/11

thanksgiving + baby granny pattern

my big girl
I do hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving.  I went with my husband to his parents house and my daughter was able to see her uncles and cousins -- whom she doesn't get to see that often -- so it was quite a treat.  Jalapeño turkey (what can I say, I live in Texas), smoked turkey, dressing, green beans, sausages, potato salad, cranberry salad, fruit salad, green salad (we like salad, I guess), and pies, pies, pies.  I tried my hand at a Pumpkin Pecan Pie this year.  All I have to say about that is one is YUM.  It's my new favorite.


BABY GRANNY SQUARE PATTERN

I had a friend ask me about my pattern for my baby grannies, so I'm going to post it here in case anyone else is interested.  It's actually the simplest, basic granny square there is.  So, here is the pattern just for you, Jo!

To Start:  ch5, ss into first ch to make a loop
Round One:  ch3 (which serves as your first dc stitch), 2dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch2, ss to the first stitch to finish the round.  Tie off, if you're going to use a different color for the second round.  If not, just start on round two.
Round Two:  Start your next round wherever you like, but make sure you do 2ch for the corners and 1ch for the spaces.  I start at one of the corners.  Cast on.  ch3 (which serves as your first dc stitch), 2dc, ch1 (to make the space), 3dc, 2ch, 3dc, ch1, 3dc, 2ch, 3dc, ch1, 3dc, 2ch, 3dc, ch1, 3dc, 2ch, ss to first ch3 to close the round.  Tie off.
Round Three:  Do the same thing in the previous round, except naturally you'll add another group of 3dc in the middle (ch1) spaces you made in round two.  Tie off.  From here, I used Round 4 as a means to join-as-I-go, using the method I linked to below.  If you prefer to single crochet or slip-stitch your squares together, then you can just go ahead and do round 4.
Round Four:  Repeat, putting a 3dc, 2ch, 3dc in each corner space, a 3dc in the middle spaces, and make sure you separate the middle groups of 3dc with 1ch.

I'm doing a join-as-you-go method.  I'm using Attic 24's join-as-you-go method, and it's turned out looking really nice.  I only used colors for rounds 1 and 2, then used white for rounds 3 and 4, which gave a nice separation between the baby squares.

I hope I didn't make any mistakes in that pattern.  :)  If you come across any blips, let me know.  Enjoy!

Amy xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!